HOME Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Jodo
ZNKR Seitei Jodo Curriculum
What is ZNKR Seitei Jodo?
Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei Seitei Jodo was created by Shimizu Takaji. The set of 12 kata were presented to the head of the ZNKR and demonstrated by Shimizu Takaji and Nakajima Asakichi. After being approved by the ZNKR, Seitei Jodo was presented to the public in 1969 by Shimizu Takaji and Otofuji Ichizo. This set of 12 kata were selected from the Shindo Muso Ryu curriculum and modified for Kendo, Iaido, and Aikido students.
Seitei Jodo students learn the curriculum in the following order:
Shinto Muso Ryu students may be taught these kata as training exercises and as an
introduction to Jodo.
How does ZNKR differ from SMR Jodo?
There are several differences between Seitei Jodo and Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo. The most obvious differences are in how Uchidachi wields the sword because Seitei Jodo is influenced by Kendo.
1. For example, in Seitei Jodo, Uchidachi (sword wielder) will always go to Jodan Kamae before making a cut. However, in Shindo Muso Ryu, Uchidachi usually starts in Hasso Kamae and makes side cuts from the right or left shoulder (not from Jodan).
2. In Seitei Jodo, Uchidachi keeps his/her body positioned straight ahead. However, in Shindo Muso Ryu, Uchidachi often uses Hanmi (45 degrees) position. In Seitei Jodo, Uchidachi tends to have a narrower stance, and they keep their hips higher for ease of movement.
3. On the Shidachi (Jo wielder) side, the 12 Seitei Jodo kata have come to be taught the same. Footwork may differ, but Jo techniques are similar. On this website, you will notice the difference between Seitei Jodo and Koryu style in the kata descriptions for Monomi and Seigan. Seigan, in particular, was modified from the original SMR kata for safety.
4. Seitei Jodo uses only the long sword (Odachi). Therefore, you will notice in the kata descriptions that Seitei Jodo Hissage uses the long sword, but traditionally Hissage is done with a short sword (Kodachi).
5. There are two additional kata created for Seitei Jodo: Suigetsu and Shamen.
6. In Seitei Jodo, the Uchidachi always maintains a two-handed grip on the sword throughout the kata. The left hand is only released in Seigan, Midare Dome, and Ranai.
What is the ranking system?
Ranks are awarded by the Kendo Federation. There are no Kyu ranks. The first rank a student tests for is Shodan. The requirements for each rank are summarized below:
|Return to Top | Home | Contact|